Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Tribute to Dad...

It's Dads birthday this weekend and I have been reflecting on the gift God
My First Wedding
gave me by allowing me to be his daughter. All these thoughts have been whirling around in my mind and I decided it was worthy of a blog post to celebrate His special day. 

Dad...this is for you, 

Growing up I never realized how blessed I was by having the dad I did. He sure set the bar high for any future man by being an amazing husband to my mom and an amazing dad to my sisters and me. He held us when we cried, through sobs of incoherent blubber, he brushed our hair and always told us we were so beautiful in our little dresses. He put up with hairspray, nail polish, chick flicks and boy talks - and still does! 

Dad's Birthday
Dad taught me how to drive, including letting me purchase a stick shift I didn't know how to work...and graciously let me ride when I broke down in tears - then took me out for ice cream. One of my favorite memories of my dad might have come during my junior year in High School. It was softball season. As I rounded the corner of 3rd base after hitting my first home run, I saw Dad in the stands with both arms in the air and the pride on his face...I could hear his voice cheering me on. This picture is locked into my memory and will never go away. I had never felt so on-top-of the world. He was committed to being at almost every softball game, track meet and swim meet including all away games; band concerts, parades and football games - all while pastoring a church. Family was his priority - we felt that.
Graduation 2013

Dad has taught me the importance of humility and what it looks like to be a life-long learner. We graduated last year just 6 days a part. Him with his Doctor of Ministry degree and me with my Bachelors. Dad has instilled in me a deep love for Jesus, a desire to commit my life to sharing Christ with the next generation, a love for kids - including a a childlike joy - and a fiercly competitive nature.

I will be forever grateful for the influence my Dad has had on me and on so many others - I can only pray I can keep this legacy alive. Dad, I love you more than words can describe and I am so grateful God made me to be your daughter. Happy Birthday!!

About that competitive nature...
Love,
Your Jenna girl

**Disclaimer: I know I have friends who do not have this kind of relationship due to loss - the affects of living in a broken world. Might I encourage you with the knowledge that Almighty Father has CHOSEN YOU. "...even as he chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him...." Ephesians 1:3-14 -- Look up the rest, then commit it to your memory...it's gold. 


Thankful for the friendship we have...<3

No comments:

Post a Comment